Pages

Thursday, August 5, 2010

7 Coats Will Have to Do

My intention was to slather this bad-boy with
10 coats of Waterlox ... but thought 
after 7 coats ... 
this counter top was lookin' 
mighty fine
:O)



you might notice a coil of wiring
peaking under the upper cabinet ...
that's the future wiring of 
under-cabinet lighting

:O)




remember all that paintable wallpaper?
it turned out great!
we used it on the sides of the cabinetry
and
as a back splash to all the electronics
that will be housed in this area




every coat made the grain in the wood
sing a little louder


the knee hole just needs a bar stool ...

hmmmm ... I wanted to share
a picture of the bar stool I'm thinkin'
about getting from a chain of stores
called ...


When we lived in Massachusetts and New Hampshire I would see these stores and avoid them thinking, "I'm not in the mood to shop for Christmas."

But then a good friend shared what's so
special about the Christmas Tree Shops...
Oh my goodness!!!
If there is one close to you
go
and I mean go right now!  

They sell so many wonderful things ... 
things that are so crazy cheap ... 
you'll find yourself filling your cart 
(like I do) 
and pulling into the check-out area and 
sorting through the items that are 
"yes(s)" 

and 

"no(s)".

What's so great about this place?
Say I only have $25 to spend that day ...
you can fill your cart (big cart) 
full and still come under budget!  
I AM NOT KIDDING YOU!

We now live between Buffalo and Rochester ...
both cities got a Christmas Tree Shop 
and we all went wild!  

Really. 

Googly-eyed WILD.

So ... let me find a bar stool that is comparible to the ones I found at the Christmas Tree Shops for only $50


this one comes from Pottery Barn ...
it retails @ $180 ...
I can get this chair at the Christmas Tree Shops
for $50

:O)

BUT we will eventually need 4 of them ...
3 @ the bar/peninsula area and 1 at the desk
area (the area we've been working on since Mother's Day weekend) ... sooooooo

if space is an issue (the backs of the barstool dictate how much space is needed for seating) ... then
this could be an option (not my favorite option) ...


I can get the above at Big Lots 2 for $40 ... but I'd have to paint them ... which is a good thing and a bad thing ... it requires time and $ BUT I could spin a personal touch to them and make our cottage kitchen look like a one-of-a-kind space!



What do you think I should do?
bar stools w/backs vs. bar stools w/no backs

:O)

Can't wait to post again with you ...

3 comments:

  1. She looks beautiful! I'm not sure about the bar stools, could you get one of each and test it out, return the no one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!

    Bar stools...my first suggestions was going to be to go with the ones with backs - more comfortable, safer, etc. But the backless ones would "hide" nicely and cause the room to look less cluttered. So I have no suggestion for you : ) I have two with backs and one without - an eclectic look. The ones with backs are really nice and match our dining room set (they are also really pricey - that's why there are only 2). The backless one I got at Target. Right now it's being used to hold a lamp! So there's another plus for the backless ones...they are more versatile.

    As for Christmas Tree Shops...we had one in Vermont and I loved it! I bought so many baskets, boxes, etc. and we still use most of them. But my bank account didn't love it so much. Even though the prices were good, it was hard for me not to buy unnecessary items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill was shocked those were the cabinets we picked up with you, he also said he may just hire Dan to finish the trim in our house. lol. It looks amazing, I heard them singing loud and clear!
    As far as the bar stools...if they won't be used to sit at for a long duration (maybe just grabbing breakfast and on the go) maybe I would go with the backless stools, they would keep things more open looking (maybe? just thinking out loud) but if wanting more comfort and something to sit back on go with the backed ones. No matter whatever you pick they will look great, comes down to practicality.
    After reading your post I now have the Christmas Tree itch.

    ReplyDelete